lørdag den 23. maj 2020

These boots are made for walking

...And walking they shall do; here's a little "progress report"
Time flies by and so does the hiking. Flows very well I believe. Have now left about 200 km of footprints behind me. Two weeks of exploration in how I like to do this. Nothing is set in stone though, always happy to optimize wherever I can. For instance; today I was offered a bag of milk powder, so why not try adding this to my morning porridge and perhaps go as far as to my coffee? 
The weather has changed from cold northern winds to now more springish weather that allows me to sleep through the night without being cold to the bones with all my woolen wear on me. Apparently, the area I've been pasding through has been 5 degrees Celsius colder than average at this time of year. Up north in the mountains where I'm heading they measure this year the most snow in 60 years. Something that actually can affect me if I end up there before the snow has melted or in the middle of flooding due to heavy snow melting. Can't spend to much energy in worrying about this potential problem. Can just be aware and let it remind me that I really shouldn't hurry but take my time and enjoy the forest. Like, really cliche carpe diem goddamnit, stop worrying about the future so much! 
Human interaction reaction
The Swedish border remain "closed". A few days ago I ran into a little family-get-together gathering, half Swedish half Norwegian. Was nice to see them being able to meet exactly on the border with the table between them celebrating life. Too, I've lately run into quiet a few very welcoming situations with both beers, sausages, coffee, cake, wafles, lots of good stories and even people that offered to help me out doing my laundry in their home and offered me a shower. With soap. And shampoo. A heated floor. Big soft towel, fully equipped kitchen and television in the living room. Almost overwhelming. 
These moments of recognition from people really fuels my engine and makes me aware of what I do. The ultimate motivation. A little help and push forward. But don't get me wrong, the four walls, lock on the door and all the bills and everyday life isn't something I miss. I'm totally into this and really hope I can proceed till "the end". On the other hand, I can't help myself from imagining the life of people in the houses when I pass by or interact with the these. To hear their stories, their choices, why they live here and especially how they experience corona being situated almost exactly on the border. In search of inspiration to my own life I find it very pleasing when someone opens up and shares a bit of history.
The road and gap in the forest is the border between Norway and Sweden 

Luxury and sophisticated, still; the best I got was a little piece of advice from another adventurer who biked the world: he gave me the name of a lake with trouts just a few days hike from his home. With that in mind, well rested and some milkpowder from the family I was really happy to head back out into the woods. Thanks to the group of friends from Skotterud, especially Ida, Maiken and Martin who helped me out with my laundry, shopping etc., and to Mathias, Inga and their daughter Lea who welcomed me very warm hearted in their garden with coffee and waffles.
Commitment is gold
All the stress I've put myself under both physically and mentally has taken its toll a bit. Felt the need to calm down and do a double rest day. Left ankle is sore and so is my old broken foot. Last thing I want to do is to get bad inflammation in joints due to power through-syndrome. Especially ankles. Too, I sent back a bit more gear. Felt good. Sun screen, cutting board, a little kitchen box etc. 1 kilo. Got a reminder from a biking tour friend that made me see that last year I made it through the whole thing without pants in a very minimalistic way. So, even though I'm going to the mountains this time; why would I carry a cutting board? I expected to send back gear and now it feels so right to do it. 

I'm more committed to the route up north as I've send my maps and contact lenses to a post office further up. Good. Kind of have a target now to aim at now. Makes me able to visualize the purpose of this first big part of the trip: strengthen myself through the lowlands to the foothills of the mountain range. Think it'll be about a month or so before I'm there.
Met a bunch of local youngsters and they served me beer and gave me company. Thanks!
Fish attack!
The identity and technicality 
Slowly I'm becoming a hiker. The reality is becoming real and it is surreal. Some times the feeling of loniless and solitude  kicks in but then suddenly out of the blue something amazing happens. Like when a freaking badger took me by surprise (perhaps it was the other way around) and he ran scared shitless away. Or all the birds that come so close when I sit still in camp and read. And espcially the beaver-engineers working on their construction site taking down sometimes trees much bigger than they would ever be able to transport back time! Or simply just how good it feels to have company when it's there and then go back into my own world and destiny. I'm familiar with solo adventures but now I'm familiarizing with it again.
Have been really in doubt about the choices of gear but think I'm happy at where I am now. Not ultra light but not bulky. I'm safe with this and versatile. Using the multi fuel burner costs me 10% of gas (super expensive up here), and inspired by my Finish friend Alpo, I am now using a fire steel to ignite my stove now allowing me to stop buying and carrying 6/12 packs of matches or dealing with broken lighters. Aaahh feels good to change such a small thing. Thank you Alpo!

The Norwegian flag symbolises the right to roam
After the Norwegian national on the 17th of May I decided to keep the flag as a simple tribute of the right to roam. I also decided to remove the mail app from my phone and practice bird recognition with a  bird app instead inspired by Mathias who I spoke of earlier. Furthermore I was given a box of worms, a few fishing lures and some advice from this older man on a porch who had seen me by a lake earlier. Can you believe it? This kindness. I love it and it stays with me only to do the same sort of thing when I get the opportunity. 
Summer is coming. The mosquitoes are waking up. Uufffff!
I couldn't determine the killer. Holes in neck and around lower back part. No blood on the ground of much in fur really. Left on road. I put him in the forest..




Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar